Thursday, January 25, 2018

A Baby Hiccup / Humpday

Tuesday January 23
Let's recover and not make the injury worse.
Woke up at the Travel Transit Center in Steamboat Springs next to a couple different vans and RVs that also illegally "camped" overnight.  I am still finding it difficult to wake up to a bright outside world after sleeping in complete darkness.  I was going to take the day off, due to the swelling in my hip/butt.  However, my partner in adventure shouldn't have to be affected.  I dropped Catalina off at the base of Steamboat, told her to have a great time, and headed down to take care of some cleaning and organizing that was long overdue.  I knew we would have a washer and dryer at our disposal along with a dishwasher tonight and wanted to take advantage of all these amenities in the most practical fashion.  I also wanted to make another duplicate of my keys, just in case.  Catalina had a short day on the mountain and I had a productive day making phone calls to family and sorting out the van.  After a day on the mountains, I knew Cat would need some revitalization.  We went to a small local mexican restaurant, "Taco Cabo", in Steamboat Springs and sampled some beers at Storm Peak Brewery.  We then picked up some beer and pizzas from Papa Murphy's when Alex and his friend crew met us that night at our airbnb right off the mountain. 

It was so nice to have a bedroom, shower, fireplace, and all the space to lay around and walk!  It is the small things that make the experience.  It was a great night full of smiles, laughs, and beer.

Stay Fun and Run Wild!



Wednesday January 24th

How nice to wake up and not have to worry about ice crystals inside the van!  Did I mention free underground parking?  Yeah.  I got the van a carwash and parked it in the free underground garage at "The Village at Steamboat Springs."  I was trying my best to treat the new van as well as I possibly could.  This guy has taken me 4,000 miles with no problems.  I am thankful.

First thing I did when I woke up was to try and see how bad my hip was by running on the treadmill.  I could not even maintain a 10 minute pace without the pain becoming too much.  Just the bouncing motion was rough and had to slow down to about a 12 minute pace.  I found the pain manageable, but too much for me to do more than a mile and a bit.  Oh well.  I was going to try to get back on the mountain today.  I could tell I was sore and things were tight, but manageable.  That was until my loving girlfriend got a bit overzealous in wanting to "dust me."  Alex, Bradley, and I were all on snowboards and due to a limitation of going uphill, we cut through a few runs to get to our destination.  The girls, Cat and Heather, on skis managed the uphill just fine.  We were sitting at the aptly named "Rendezvous" Lodge waiting for them as they kindly waited for us.  It was at this point I saw Catalina flying down the mountain at an impressive speed.  She was headed right towards us.  "She's going to try and dust me", I meagerly said to Alex and Bradley.  I popped up on my board and tried to avoid the powder cloud.  Unfortunately, I ended up right in Catalina's path and her brazen speed was too much for us to handle.  She crashed right into me and I ended up landing on the swollen part of my body.  Well that hurt.

I was done.  My mission for the rest of the day was to get down to the base, numb the pain, and sleep it off.  Not the most ideal start to being told you are running 100 miles in July!!!

The rest of the day I accomplished those goals.  The rest of the group finished the mountain for the day and headed off to Strawberry Hot Springs.  I heard it was beautiful, but I was content laying in bed and not moving.

Know Your Body and Run Wild!

No comments:

Post a Comment