Tuesday, January 30, 2018

End of #Vanlife / Lots of Beer

Friday, January 26th

In the morning we headed towards the edge of Boulder and were blessed with a fantastic view of the city from the Flat Irons.  What a great way to start the day!  Afterwards, we headed down to Denver!  We had a great vegetarian breakfast at City O' City, just a few blocks down from my brother's old flat.  We walked around the city a bit while we waited for the Public Library to open.  We both had some computer things to do today, and didn't want to pay for coffee in order to use the internet.  After we had enough of free wifi, we headed back out towards the mountains. 

I told Catalina I wanted to head back to the mountains tomorrow to see how my hip/butt felt.  It's been bothering me and I wanted to make sure everything was groovy before we had a full day on Sunday.

We stopped at Lookout Mountain in Golden, Colorado for great views, camp cooking, and of course to use the restroom facilities.  Today's lunch was lavish.  We had a packet of dehydrated "Cuban Coconut Rice and Black Beans" from Backpackers Pantry (so good!), a packet of shrimp ramen, and COFFEE!  it was really nice to enjoy this last #vanlife meal with Catalina before we met up with my father and brothers tomorrow in Avon. 

Next stop was Frisco!  We found free overnight parking and headed to a local watering hole, Moose Jaw, for some cheap beer and reflections on our journey.

Saturday, January 27th

I woke up this morning colder than any other morning this trip, to the sound of snow plows.  I started the car to get some heat and start the windshield de-condensation process.  While this was happening, I found a nice snow bank to sneak behind to relieve myself of the cheap water beer consumed last night.

It was possible the lodge we were going to be staying at the next few days would allow us to check in early, so that was going to be the first stop.  But first, BREAKFAST!  Cat stayed sleeping in the back as I drove back through the mountain passes on the way to Christie Lodge in Avon.  We stopped for a nice warm meal at Northside Kitchen just as the sun was peeking out and making the mountains glow.

Unfortunately, the room wasn't ready so we headed to Copper Mountain for a short day.  I knew if I fell, I would irritate my injury again, but I wanted to see how comfortable I would be still riding down.  I was fine.  I would be alright tomorrow for a full day.  That's a relief.

We stopped by the store on the way back to get essentials for the room while we waited for my father and brothers to arrive.  As we all know, the essentials include beer, bread, chips, salsa, and guacamole.

It was so nice to get everything unloaded out of the van and into the room.  It was amazing to actually see all of our belongings at once.  After showers (last shower was Wednesday...), I organized while Cat did homework, and we both cracked upon a beer and relaxed.

The family came and hugs were exchanged and we headed out for dinner at a local mexican restaurant.  Tomorrow was going to be a big day!

Sunday, January 28th

It was such a blessing to be able to wake up in a large, warm bed!  We prepped some peanut butter sandwiches for the afternoon while cooking oatmeal for breakfast.  Catalina, my brothers, and I loaded up the van and headed to Copper Mountain!  We played on the backside of the mountain and ran into my buddy Alex again!  It was a wonderful and uneventful day, until a had a lapse and fell straight down onto my butt, while doing nothing at all.  Oh boy did that hurt!  I told the squad that I was going to the bottom of the mountain for a beer.  It is so frustrating to keep injuring the same area over and over again.  We had a long lunch and headed back up the mountain for a few more runs.

Not a bad day!

Trying to heal up so I can Run Wild!

No comments:

Post a Comment