Thursday, January 4, 2018

Northeast to St. Louis

January 3rd

Let's try again!  After a short 3.6mi run, Catalina and I drove back over to Massachusetts to pick up my van, move all my belongings back into the death machine, and I was on my way.  Car was running, but not running great.  Regardless, I had to get off the East Coast before the Blizzard came while still trying to avoid the lake effect around Erie, PA (both my girlfriend and I have had terrible winter driving stories around that area).  It looked like once I got to Columbus, Ohio (12hr drive) I could stop for a short nap before continuing on to St. Louis (6hr drive from Ohio). 

Once again, things did not go as planned.  I ended up driving in snow for 3 hours from western Pennsylvania to central Ohio.  That was fine, I live in Maine.  I can handle a light dusting.  What I couldn't handle was my heat going out at 6am.  This normally would not be a big issue, except this happens to be the week the whole country is experiencing a deep freeze and the real feel was -10F outside.  Looks like I have no choice but to just drive straight to St. Louis and sleep at Adam's place when I get there.  The rest of the trip was relatively uneventful, minus me spilling coffee all over the coffee station at 4am.  Whoops!

Made it safe around 1pm EST and I immediately took a (much needed) shower, grabbed some fish and chips and a beer-Amra IPA by Destihl.  It was nice to be out of the vehicle and catching up with a familiar face.  But now, I nap! 

I've included a timetable of events below:
6am - Wakeup
3pm - Cat and I drive 2.5 hours to grab the van from the shop
5:45pm - Get the van loaded and start driving
4am - I spill coffee in the petrol station
6am - No more heat.  This was also the time I planned to stop to nap.  Guess not!
1pm - Arrive safe in St. Louis
Total of 22 hours of driving, over 30 hours awake.

Nutrition: 5 Lara bars, 6(?) cups of coffee, 500ml of Coca-cola, 1 redbull, and a lot of Orbit bubblegum.

Stay warm and run wild!



No comments:

Post a Comment