Thursday, January 11, 2018

A New Van, a New Plan, Warm Run

Tuesday January 9th

Today is finally the day, but first, we run!
I ran a nice 4 miles on a trail I had never been on, nor knew existed.
I met up with my friend Sophia whom I’ve known from middle school.
 She is currently attending graduate school at Brown and it has been
YEARS since we saw each other last.  It was a beautiful day in the 40s
along a beautiful trail along the Arkansas River in Ft. Gibson, Oklahoma.  
We went at a nice conversational pace in order for us to have a nice conversation.  
It was a gentle reminder that I don’t have to push myself every single run :P

As soon I was done, I received a call from the dealership that my vehicle was ready!  
Let’s do the damn thing!  My dad helped me load the futon into the van on his lunch break
and after saying goodbye to my parents, I was on my way.

First stop was to see my grandma down in the Dallas area.  The short four hour drive was
uneventful, thankfully.  I called my grandma when I was about two hours away and surprised
her by telling her I was dropping by.  She seemed thrilled!

My girlfriend told me I have to get my grandma flowers from her, so I stopped by the grocery
store and picked up a small bouquet and dinner for myself since grandma had already eaten.
(Shout out to Amy’s vegan veggie pizza!)

We spent the evening catching up and just enjoying each others company.

Family First and Run Wild

Wednesday January 10th

This was a great day!
After grandma made me two eggs on toast, we got our athletic gear on and headed to the indoor
pickleball courts down the road.  

This is where I brag on my grandma:
Ever since I could remember, she has been super active.  If she wasn’t at the tennis courts,
she was at the swimming pool.  A couple of years ago she had double knee replacement surgery
and conquered the physical therapy and rehabilitation that went with it.  She is the bionic woman!
She fell in love with Pickleball and helped grow a community around it.  I wanted to see this part of
her life that made her so happy.

We got there early and helped to set up the nets and folks started pouring through the doors.  
We had three full courts of doubles plus folks waiting to play.  I am not ashamed to say that folks
over twice my age mopped the floor with me, including my grandma!  She was ecstatic I got to
see this part of her life, and I was pleased that I got to see part of her community.
After Pickleball, we went home.  I filled up on coffee and grandma sent me on the road with some
gas money, a bag of apples, and some chocolates.  Thanks Nanny!

Next stop: Wichita Falls, Texas

Another uneventful two hour drive and the first time putting on the AC in the van.  
I was definitely going the right direction!  I stopped at Endurance House (what a great name) in
Wichita Falls and asked for recommendations on some technical trails to run.  
The staff was super helpful and interested in my adventures, plus they had a shop puppy!  
I bought two cliff bars and was on my way to Wee-Chi-Tah Trail about a 10 minute drive away.

This was a singletrack mountain bike trail with lots of small dramatic ups and downs,
wooden bridges, switchbacks, and some river views.  Oh, and red dirt!  It was also a nice 65 degrees F.
 I ran without looking at pace or distance, just the elapsed time displayed on my watch.  
It was great to run by myself, in a new place, in the heat.  
Only encountered two mountain bikes during the hour run, without incident.  

Distance: 6.9 miles
Time: 1 hour
Pace: 8:38
Nutrition: 6 salted watermelon Cliff Bloks, 16oz Nuun water, 16oz water

After a week of disaster, I finally felt like I was back in my groove and in my happy place.  
After all the nonsense that occured, I was finally starting the adventure I had envisioned.

I drank a can of coke (new thing I’m trying) and headed to Amarillo.
 I stopped at an info center outside Amarillo for the night.  
I planned on getting dinner in town, but I was tired and my legs were sore.
Before laying down, I looked up breakfast for tomorrow, where to run, and my driving route for tomorrow.
This is the first night of sleeping in the new van.

Go new places and Run Wild

Thursday January 11th

After a decent sleep, not great, not bad, I woke up and immediately checked the weather.  
This has been something I’ve been doing every day this year.
 I saw that the real feel was in the teens! What happened to 65 degrees yesterday?  
I put in my contacts, threw on some socks and shoes and headed to IHOP.  
This is my current location.  
I’m waiting for the real feel to get out of the single digits and for the sun to come out.  
And also, unlimited coffee and pancakes for 10 dollars!!!

Be frugal and Run Wild

No comments:

Post a Comment